Supporting a Strong Economy in Thurston County since 1982.
W-4 Form (IRS)
Required for each employee at hire (where the employee provides the employer with the information necessary to determine the rate at which to withhold federal income taxes). To obtain the form, contact the IRS at 800.826.3676. Copies of W.4 forms completed during a calendar quarter where employees have claimed 11 or more withholding allowances, or have claimed exemption from withholding and their wages are expected to generally exceed $200, must be mailed to the IRS with the quarter’s 941 form.
I.9 Form (U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service)
Required for each employee when hired. Through proper completion of the form, the employee demonstrates proof that he or she is eligible to work in the United States. Contact the Immigration & Naturalization Service in Seattle at 206.553.5956.
Safety and Health Declarations
Notify employees of various safety and health considerations in the workplace. Contact the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries at 800.4BE.SAFE.
Minor Work Permit
If hiring minors, you need a minor work permit, a signed parent and school authorization form, proof of age, personal data, an employment description, and a special variance form if the minor will work more than 20 hours per week. Contact the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries at 800.547.8367 or www.lni.wa.gov/.
New Hire Reporting
Within 20 days of hire, employers are required to report information on all newly hired or rehired employees to the Washington State Department of Social & Health Services (for child support enforcement purposes). Information (including name, address, date of birth, and social security number) can be phoned in to 800.562.0479, faxed in to 800.782.0624, e-mailed to www.wa.gov/dshs/newhire , or mailed to ISSD Data Control, New Hire Directory, PO Box 9023, Olympia, WA 98507-9023
Commonly Required Posters
- “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law” (employers with 15+ employees). EEO Commission, 800.669.3362
- Federal Wage and Hour (all employers). US Department of Labor, 206.553.4482
- Federal Family Medical Leave Act (employers with 50+ employees). US Department of Labor, 206.553.4482
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (all employers). US Department of Labor, 206.553.4482
- Federal Government Contracts (employers subject to Service Contract Act or Public Contracts Act). US Department of Labor, 206.553.4482
- Federal or Federally Financed Construction Project (employers subject to the Davis Bacon Act). US Department of Labor, 206.553.4482.
- Washington Wage & Hour, “Your Rights as a Worker” (all employers). Washington State Department of Labor & Industries, 360.902.5316
- Washington Leave for Care of a Child and Maternity Leave (employers with 8+ employees). Washington State Department of Labor & Industries, 360.902.5316
- Washington Safety & Health, “Job Safety & Health Protection” (all employers). Washington State Department of Labor & Industries, 360.902.5316
- Washington Industrial Insurance Law, “Notice to Employees” (all employers). Washington State Department of Labor & Industries, 360.902.5316
- Washington Unemployment Insurance Benefits. Washington State Department of Employment Security, 360.902.936.