Second Annual Black-Owned Business Excellence
February 2 @ 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
About this Event
Register HERE to receive updates on events and other information!
During Black History Month in 2020, we celebrated Black Business Empowerment in the city of Tacoma with a group of successful business owners that shared their stories, resource partners who provided technical assistance and the community that came together to support.
This is a collaborative effort with a host of amazing organizations to include the US Small Business Administration, City of Tacoma, Africatown Land and Trust, Urban Impact Seattle, Blackdot, Urban Leagues, Key Bank, Seattle Credit Union, Seattle Public Library, Greater Seattle Business Association, WA Small Business Development Center, Procurement Technical Assistance Center, Minority Business Diversity Association, Business Impact NW, Yum Yum Morale and others. We are hosting an all-day virtual conference to celebrate, educate and inspire Black business owners on.
This will be a kick-off event for Black History Month (also known as Black-Owned Business Excellence Month) and a host of other workshops and training scheduled for throughout February. This event builds on and extends many efforts to build connections with and between Black-focused business groups and entrepreneurs. The conference will start at 9 a.m. with the Minority Business Diversity Association giving a state of address on Black-Owned Businesses.
Then, we will have a panel discussion among Black business owners. At 11:30 a.m. there will be a discussion of the PPP and other SBA economic relief programs, including time for a Q&A. From 2 to 4 p.m., participants are welcome to join breakout sessions according to their interest: nascent business, startup, existing business, and advancement.
We are planning these virtual events and break out sessions for the entire day
- Panel Discussions
- Workshops and Training
- Business Coaching
- Marketing and Networking
- Financial Management
- Strategic Business Planning
PLEASE REGISTER FOR EACH SESSION USING THE LINKS BELOW!
Also register your business here, for an opportunity to be awarded one of five $1000 Grant, being offered by the 2021 Black Owned Business Excellence Event, thanks to Key Bank and Seattle Credit Union donations
EVENTS AND LINKS
STATE OF THE BLACK OWNED BUSINESS – 9:00 to 9:50 am
State of Black Owned Business https://zoom.us/j/99672256136?pwd=bjZqRmZHTjZGSmdKTWdaSEJYMG5Zdz09 Passcode: 000799 (Victoria Woodards – Mayor City of Tacoma; Linda Womack – MDBA Tacoma; T’wina Nobles – State Senator 28th Legislative District; Lyn Idahosa-Berry – WA State Democratic Small Business Caucus; Jenefeness Tucker – WA Small Business Development Center)
GENERAL SESSION – 10:00 am to 12:30 pm https://wsbdc.ecenterdirect.com/events/99271345
- 10:00 am— Black-Owned Business Panel Discussion (Lewis Rudd – Ezell’s Famous Chicken, Debrena Jackson Gandy – Million Dollar Mentor, Efrem Fesaha – Boon Boona Coffee, Njuguna Gishuru – African Chamber of Commerce of the Pacific Northwest, Keisha Credit – Business Bestie, *Connie Proctor – Moderator)
- 11:30 am—Paycheck Protection Program by SBA Seattle District (Cathy Griffith, SBA, Jimmy Ng, KeyBank, Ezgi Ucaner-Flor, Business Impact NW , Desiree Albrecht – Moderator)
BREAKOUT SESSIONS – 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm Zoom Help Desk: Giselle’s Zoom https://wsu.zoom.us/j/93608146996?pwd=SERTN2JvbS9oS1hrK0l4aWRFSFNjdz09 Meeting ID: 936 0814 6996Passcode: 478370
Nascent Business Training
- 2:00 – 2:50 pm – Idea Validation with the Business Model Canvas – Business Impact Northwesthttps://us02web.zoom.us/j/85924282382
- 3:00 – 3:50 pm – Trademark Basics Boot Camp – US Patent and Trademark Officehttps://www.uspto.gov/about-us/events/trademark-basics-boot-camp-module-1-fundamentals
Startup Business Training
- 2:00 – 2:50 pm – Researching Your Market Using Library Tools – Seattle Public Libraryhttps://www.spl.org/event-alendar?trumbaEmbed=view%3Devent%26eventid%3D150473288
- 3:00 – 3:50 pm – Startup 101 – Urban Impact Seattle (link Coming Soon)
Business Growth Training
- 2:00 – 2:50 pm – Loan Expectation 101 – Greater Seattle Business Association (and WSBDC)https://wsbdc.ecenterdirect.com/events/99271382
- 3:00 – 3:50 pm – Customer Service 201 – WA Small Business Development Center https://wsbdc.ecenterdirect.com/events/99271384
Business Expansion Training
- 2:00 – 2:50 pm – Tips for Completing Your 8a Certification – Procurement Tech Asst Centerhttps://washingtonptac.ecenterdirect.com/events/852391
- 3:00 – 3:50 pm – Advanced Business Resource Training – MBDA https://zoom.us/j/99672256136?pwd=bjZqRmZHTjZGSmdKTWdaSEJYMG5Zdz09 passcode: 000799
HAPPY HOUR & WRAP UP SESSION – 5:00 – 6:00 PM